HYBRID EVENT: You can participate in person at Paris, France or Virtually from your home or work.

8th Edition of World Congress on Infectious Diseases

June 09-11, 2025 | Rome, Italy

June 09 -11, 2025 | Rome, Italy
Infection 2024

Five year profile and outcomes of pediatric patients diagnosed with tuberculosis at a tertiary hospital in Makati, Philippines (2016-2020)

Speaker at Infectious Diseases Conference - Edeline Anne Dondonilla
Ospital ng Makati, Philippines
Title : Five year profile and outcomes of pediatric patients diagnosed with tuberculosis at a tertiary hospital in Makati, Philippines (2016-2020)

Abstract:

Background: The Philippines ranks fourth worldwide in tuberculosis incidence and is considered as a high-burden country of tuberculosis in the world. Differences in the pathophysiology and clinical presentation of TB in children make diagnosis more challenging than in adults. 

Objectives: This study aims to provide a socio-demographic profile and treatment outcomes of admitted patients and managed as cases of Pulmonary and Extra-Pulmonary Tuberculosis at Ospital ng Makati Department of Pediatrics from January 2016 to December 2020.

Design: Descriptive

Methodology: 127 children aged 18 years old and below who were diagnosed with tuberculosis (Pulmonary and Extrapulmonary Tuberculosis) and admitted at Ospital ng Makati Department of Pediatrics from January 2016 to December 2020 were included in the study. 

Results From the 127 patients included in this study, 91 (71.65%) have Pulmonary TB (PTB) while the remaining 36 (28.35%) have extrapulmonary TB (EPTB). In general, there are more male patients who contacted Tuberculosis. In most of the age groups, male PTB patients shows more symptoms than female PTB patients. Symptoms are more prominent in ages 1 – 3 years. Aged 14-18 years old presented with the most cases. And TB Meningitis was the most common EPTB.  

Conclusion/Recommendations: This study highlights the importance the synergistic use of thorough history taking, physical examination, clinical presentation and laboratory findings in diagnosing tuberculosis, and the importance of timely identification of TB cases which may consequently be used in further improving outcomes to achieve the eventual eradication of Tuberculosis.

Biography:

Dr. Edeline Dondonilla studied BS Nutrition and Dietetics as her undergraduate degree at University of the Philippines – Los Baños and completed her degree of Doctor of Medicine in University of the Perpetual Help DALTA-Jonelta in 2016. She underwent her Medical Internship training at Victoriano Luna Medical Center in 2017. She underwent and completed her training specializing in Pediatrics in 2021 in Ospital ng Makati – a tertiary local government hospital in the Philippines.

Watsapp